Bunhill Quaker Gardens

Charting the redevelopment of the Quaker Gardens between Banner Street and Chequer Street, London, in 02005.

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Soil mounds

Soil mounds
Soil mounds
Originally uploaded by davidjennings.
I thought we might have some respite at the weekend, but another lorry was being loaded with rubble at 8.10 this morning (good overtime rates, I hope).

I didn't see these mounds of soil arrive. Perhaps the lorry brought them. But they were deposited at the Chequer Street end of the site, only for the digger and the little shovel-buggy (that's my name for it) to ferry one of them back, Sisyphus-style, to the other end of the site, nearer the entrance.

the great plane tree
The great plane tree
Originally uploaded by davidjennings.
My friend Huw told me that the house you can see on the right of the top picture, and in the middle of the bottom one, used to belong to TV chef Jamie Oliver. Apparently each programme in one of his early series started with him coming out of the door, hopping on his scooter, and scooting off down Chequer Street. I'm ashamed to say I don't do a lot of cooking, and I'm a bit smug about how little TV I watch, so I can only take Huw's word for it.

Update: I've just Googled "Jamie Oliver" and "Chequer Street" and this proves Huw right: try this link.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home